NOTICE: This action could use a lot of data. If you are limited on your data plan, please bring the device to any school parking lot and connect to the building internet before completing this task.
Here are the steps for updating the operating system on your chromebook. You may need to complete these steps several times if your chromebook is on a very old version of the operating system.
- Log on to the chromebook with any school account
- Open the Chrome web browser
- Click on the 3 vertical dots in the top-right corner to bring up the Chrome menu (this is located just below the X to close the window)
- From the bottom of the menu, select Help > and then About Chrome OS from the sub-menu
- In the middle of the About window, click on the button that says Check for and apply updates
- Once the update process completes, the button will change to say Restart. Click the restart button
- After restarting and logging on to the chromebook, repeat steps 2-6 until the chromebook is fully updated. When it is fully updated, you will see a blue circle with a check mark in it and the message beside it will state Your Chromebook is up to date.